Makes 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 14 minutes
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 cup microwaveable brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and stringy flesh. Place the squash halves, cut sides down, on plastic wrap in microwave. Cook on High 10 minutes or until cooked through. Scoop flesh into medium bowl, stir until smooth, and set aside.
- Microwave rice according to package directions, omitting butter.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and optional ginger; cook 2 minutes, stirring. Add rice.
- Alternately stir in squash and broth, 1/2 cup at a time; wait until each is absorbed before adding more. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Serve in bowls & garnish with parmesan.
Per servings: Calories 256
Fat 8g, Protein 10g, Carbohydrate 41g
Original recipe from Health.com can be found here!