From the Natural Gourmet Institute
Yields: 8 cups
Prep: 20 minutes
- 1 large firm apple, shredded (1 to 2 cups)
- 1 cup green or red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup scallions, minced
- 3 cups lacinato kale, chiffonade (I used regular curly kale but it does change texture)
For the dressing:
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- To make the dressing: whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Prepare the apple (peeled or no peel) and vegetables and place them in a bowl as you go. Shred the apple on the large hole side of the grater and toss well with the dressing Thinly slice the cabbage and then cut across the slices about every inch. Peel the carrots and shred on the large holed side of a hand grater. Mince the scallions.
- To shred kale: rinse the kale and shake off excess water. Strip leaves from large stems and pile on a chopping board. Gather the kale into a compact mass and thinly slice. Then cut down across the slices, chopping the kale into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Add kale to bowl and toss well.
- Delicious served right away, but the sweetness intensifies as it sits. Keeps for 2-3 days.