- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- Cooking spray
For Creamy Sauce:
- 10 small white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (not packed)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For Parmesan Topping:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small onions, thinly sliced into circles
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (not packed)
- 3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray large baking dish (approximately 8 x 11) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add beans along with pinch of salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5-6 minutes or until al dente. Green beans should be firm and not too soft. Drain and add a few cups of ice to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Preheat large skillet on medium high and add olive oil. Add onions and cook until golden brown/almost charred, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Return skillet to heat, spray with cooking spray and add mushrooms. Cook until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low and add flour. Stir enough to coat the mushrooms. Slowly pour almond milk and whisk while you’re pouring, until no lumps are left. Add water, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and whisk again. Bring to a boil and let simmer to thicken, for about 3-4 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, add breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and water to a bowl with onions and mix with your hands until crumbs appear.
- Drain green beans, add the sauce and stir to combine.
- Transfer green beans to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with topping. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Serve warm. Casserole tastes best within first couple hours after it has been cooked.
Number of Servings: 6, Serving size = 1 cup
Calories: 196, Total Fat: 7.6 g, Sodium: 458.5 mg, Total Carbs: 20.0 g, Protein: 9.3 g
Original recipe can be found here at ifoodreal.com!