Calories per serving: 154
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup water
- cilantro, to garnish
- 1. Pour 2 tbsp olive oil into a large heavy pot and place on medium-high heat. Add the onions and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, stir in the garlic, jalapeño, and red pepper and fry for another 5 minutes. Add the squash and parsnip and continue frying for 5 minutes
- 2. Lift the vegetables out of the pot and into a medium bowl, leaving as much of the oil in the pot as possible. Add the remaining oil. Add the string beans, zucchini and eggplant to the pot and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Return the veggies that are in the bowl to the pot. Add the sweet potato, tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste and plenty of salt and pepper. Stir well, then pour in the water. Cover with a lid and leave to simmer gently for 30 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
- 4. Preheat the oven to 400F. Pour the veggies from the pot into a large, deep roasting pan to make an even layer. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro.