SERVES 6-8 (AS A SMALL SIDE)
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons drained capers
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Italian dressing (see below)
- big pinch dried oregano
For the Italian Vinaigrette:
- scant 1 cup neutral-tasting oil like avocado, grapeseed or canola (do not recommend EVOO)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinager
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions OR 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients for the Italian Vinaigrette in a jar with a tight fitting lid or a bowl then shake or whisk to combine. Can be made up to 2 weeks ahead of time.
- Add chickpeas through Italian dressing to a large bowl then season to taste with salt and dried oregano. Toss to combine then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make ahead: combine all ingredients except tomatoes and basil in a large bowl and refrigerate. Add tomatoes and basil before serving.