BAKE A BATCH OF THESE DELICIOUS BANANA BRAN MUFFINS AS A HEALTHY BREAKFAST OPTION FOR YOUR FAMILY. THEY’RE SWEETENED ONLY WITH RIPE BANANAS AND APPLESAUCE, SO YOU CAN ENJOY A TREAT LOW IN ADDED SUGAR!
- 1/2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 2/3 cups bran (wheat or oat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with 1/2 teaspoon cooking oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, including oat bran, baking powder and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients, including mashed banana, applesauce, Greek yogurt, eggs and vanilla together until well combined and smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups (about ¼ cup mix per muffin cup), and bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins are best served warm with your favorite spread. Feel free to add in chocolate chips, berries or nuts to the batter!
Serves: 4, Serving Size: 3 muffins
Per serving: Calories: 258; Total Fat: 6g; Carbohydrate: 57g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 19g; Protein: 12g