This is based on traditional panzanella, an Italian bread salad, but the ingredients are grilled to intensify their flavor. You’ll need 24 metal or wooden skewers; soak wooden ones 15 minutes in water before threading them.
Per serving: 142 calories (3 skewers)
Fat 3g, Carbohydrates 20g, Sodium 374 mg, Protein 10g, Fiber 2g
- 24 metal or wooden skewers (soak wooden ones 15 minutes in water before)
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (8 ounces each), cut into 1inch cubes
- 24 red pearl onions, peeled
- 1 pound small zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/2inch rounds
- 2 orange or yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch squares
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 10 ounces unsliced day old white bread, crusts removed, cut into 1 inch cubes
1. In a plastic container with a tight fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and chopped herbs. Shake well to combine, and set the marinade aside.
2. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Skewer the ingredients, pairing the chicken and onion together, the zucchini and pepper together, and the tomatoes and bread together. Brush the kebabs with reserved marinade.
3. Grill chicken and onion skewers until chicken is cooked through and onions are tender, turning often, about 10 minutes. Cook zucchini and pepper skewers until vegetables are tender, turning often, about 7 minutes. Cook tomato and bread skewers until bread is toasted and tomatoes soften, turning often, about 5 minutes.
4. Serve skewers at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from marthastewart.com