WITH ZUCCHINI SEASON ALMOST IN FULL BLOOM, SKIP THE TACOS AND HAVE ONE OR TWO OF THESE DELICIOUS, GUILT FREE SAUSAGE BOATS. WE PROMISE YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE THEM!
- 1 1/4 cups marinara sauce
- 4 (31 oz total) medium zucchini
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing (Al Fresco)
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella (Polly-O)
- 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4″ thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12″ baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
- In a large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned; set aside. Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly. Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
Servings: 8 Serving Size: 1 boat
Calories: 153; Fat: 7 g; Protein: 12.8 g; Carb: 9 g; Fiber: 2 g; Sugar: 2 g; Sodium: 372 mg
Original recipe from SkinnyTaste.com