Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 lettuce wraps
For the Firecracker Sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (like sambal oelek)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- a small knob of fresh ginger, peeled
- a clove of fresh garlic, peeled
For the Lettuce Wraps:
- 1 container extra firm tofu
- 4 ounces brown rice noodles
- lettuce leaves, for wrapping
- peanuts, cilantro, lime for serving
- Noodle Prep: Soak your noodles in a bowl of lukewarm water for at least 30 minutes while prepping the rest of the recipe. You want the noodles to be soft and flexible.
- Sauce: Blend all the sauce ingredients together in a small blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Tofu: Press the tofu with a few paper towels to get some of the moisture out. Cut the tofu into small pieces. Heat a little oil in a nonstick skillet. Add your tofu. Stir-fry until golden brown, usually let it sauté for at least 15 minutes. Add about half of the sauce to the pan. Stir-fry for another 3-5 minutes. As the sauce browns, it will form small crispy pieces around the tofu. Transfer tofu to a bowl.
- Noodles: Drain and rinse your noodles. Add another swish of oil to the pan and plop the noodles in. Add about half of the remaining sauce. Stir fry for just a minute or two until coated. Add a splash of water if it’s too sticky. Remove from heat immediately and toss with the tofu.
- Lettuce Wrap It Up: Fill your butter lettuce leaves with the noodle/tofu mixture . Top with peanuts, cashews, cilantro, scallions, lime, and/or Sriracha if you want.
Protein Options: It’s super easy to swap out your protein here. You can try ground chicken or turkey.
Soaking the Noodles: If you don’t soak the noodles long enough they will require more liquid in the pan to cook, which makes them boil into a big glob. Be sure to soak them until they are very soft.
Calories Per Serving: 397
Fat 27g, Carbohydrate 27.4g, Protein 13.1g, Sugars 8.3g
Original recipe from Pinch of Yum can be found here!