Looking for dinner that’s an easy, meatless meal? Think Greek! These Vegetarian Gyros are made with strips of Portobello mushrooms and a homemade Tzatziki Sauce. Just top with fresh veggies and dinner is served!
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 12 mins
Total: 30 mins
Servings: 4 gyros
For the Gyros
- 8 ounces portobello mushroom caps (2 large or 3 medium caps), don’t remove gills
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning*
- 4 pita bread rounds
- Toppings: sliced tomato, thinly sliced red onion, sliced cucumber, crumbled feta cheese
For the Tzatziki Sauce
- ½ cup grated English cucumber, squeezed to remove water
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet (or two smaller baking sheets) with parchment paper.
- Gently rub portobello caps with a paper towel to remove any dirt. It is not necessary to remove the gills (they will add more flavor). Slice each portobello into ¼-inch-thick strips (and no thicker than ?-inch-thick strips).
- In a bowl, gently toss portobello strips with oil and Greek seasoning. Spread out portobello strips and pieces in an even layer on the baking sheet(s) – it’s OK to place them somewhat close together as they will shrink during cooking. Bake the portobello strips for 12 minutes.
- While the portobello strips are baking, prepare the tzatziki sauce. In a small bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients; mix gently to combine.
- To serve, heat pita rounds directly on the rack in the hot oven for 1 minute. Divide the baked portobello strips among the pita rounds and top with tomato slices, red onions, cucumber, feta, and a drizzle of Tzatziki Sauce.
NOTE: Make your own Greek seasoning: combine 1 tsp dried oregano, ½ tsp dried onion flakes (or onion powder), ½ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp dried dill, ¼ tsp marjoram, ¼ tsp dried thyme.
Serving Size: 1 gyro with 1/4 cup Tzatiki sauce
Fat: 8 g, Carbohydrate: 66 g, Protein: 15 g
Original recipe from the Real Food RDs can be found here!