Let’s load up our weeknight dinner with fresh, colorful vegetables and plant-based protein. Get creative by adding the vegetables you like, make it spicy by adding sriracha, or add whole grains for a complete meal.
PREP TIME: 15 mins, COOK TIME: 15 mins, TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (or gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp honey (or brown sugar for vegan)
- 16 ounces super firm tofu (drained, pressed)
- 1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce (or gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil (such as grapeseed or canola)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper (diced 1/2 inch)
- 1 small bunch of broccolini (chopped 1-inch)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (toasted)
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, vegetable broth and honey. Set aside.
- Once the tofu has drained, slice in half then into 1/2 inch cubes and place into a large bowl and season with 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- Sprinkle cornstarch on top and gently toss with your hands to ensure all tofu pieces are covered.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, add 1 tablespoon oil and heat to medium-high.
- Add the tofu and let it get crispy without touching it or flipping for 3-4 minutes, then repeat on all sides.
- Remove tofu and set aside.
- To the skillet at medium heat, add sesame oil, red peppers, broccolini and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add the tofu and sauce, toss and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened and the tofu is heated through.
- Top with sesame seeds.
- Serve the stir fry by itself or with rice or soba noodles, or if you want to keep it low-carb, use cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
Serving: 1 cup, Calories: 294 calories, Carbohydrates: 21.5g, Protein: 18.5g, Fat: 16g
Original recipe from Skinny Taste can be found here!