This fresh recipe features end of summer zucchini and cherry tomatoes, plus a delicious sun-dried tomato pesto. Served over zucchini noodles and spaghetti, it’s light and delicious as a main dish or served on the side!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 minutes
Pasta and zucchini noodles:
- 8 ounces whole grain spaghetti
- 1 large zucchini
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 2 pints (4 cups) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup lightly packed basil leaves, larger leaves torn into small pieces
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the spaghetti. Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Turn the zucchini into noodles with a spiralizer, a julienne peeler, or grate the long way on a large box grater.
- Toast the walnuts: In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the walnuts, stirring occasionally, until they smell nice and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the cherry tomatoes: In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cherry tomatoes, olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have burst open and they are cooking in their own juices, about 7 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the walnuts, half of the cooked tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt and several twists of freshly ground black pepper. Blend until the mixture is pretty smooth, then season to taste with additional lemon juice, salt and/or pepper until the flavors really sing (if that doesn’t do the trick, add some more sun-dried tomatoes). Blend again.
- Pour the pesto over the spaghetti and toss to combine. If you’ll be consuming this dish in one sitting, go ahead and toss in all of the zucchini noodles now, too. (If you plan on having leftovers, store the zucchini noodles separately from the rest as they will let out more water).
- Pour the rest of the cherry tomatoes on top of the dish, and sprinkle the basil over them. Toss gently, and divide the mixture into bowls. Top individual bowls with Parmesan or nutritional yeast, if you’d like, and a light drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.
Fat 25g, Carbs 99.3g, Protein 20g
Original recipe from Cookie & Kate can be found here!