- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3-inch piece of ginger, grated (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup wild rice
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups sliced)
- 2 large sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 qt vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 eggs (1 whole egg + 1 yolk)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups tightly packed chopped kale
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, ginger and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the wild rice, mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf, if using. Stir to mix everything together.
- Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 30-45 minutes, or until the wild rice has burst open but is still slightly chewy. Remove from heat and stir in the kale.
- In a small bowl, whisk together one whole egg, one egg yolk and lemon juice until smooth. Remove one cup of the broth from the soup and slowly pour and whisk it into the egg mixture. Gently stir the mixture back into the soup and watch it thicken and become creamier. Add more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm garnished with olive oil, flaky sea salt and black pepper.
Original recipe from Run Fast, Eat Slow can be found here!