Breakfast for dinner? Serving brunch for a crowd? Try this flavorful North African baked egg dish! It’s loaded up with sautéed peppers, tomatoes and spices
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced or diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced or diced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp aleppo chili flakes (optional)
- 3 medium tomatoes diced small with juices (or one 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil ribbons, chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
- 4 –6 Extra large organic eggs
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced peppers and garlic, and turn heat down to med-low and cook for 5-7 more minutes, until peppers are tender.
- Add all spices, sugar and salt.
- Cook for 2 more minutes. Add fresh tomatoes and water.
- Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, uncovered, adding more water if it gets too dry or thick. You want a saucy, stew-like consistency. After tomatoes cook down, taste, it should be full-flavored, so adjust salt, spices, and sugar if necessary.
- With the back of a spoon, make a well for each egg in the stew. Crack the eggs into each well, sprinkling each egg with a little salt and cracked pepper and Aleppo chili flakes.
- Bake until egg whites are become opaque and are cooked (~8-10 minutes) and yolks are still soft.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.
Serving Size: 1.5 eggs
Original recipe from Feasting at Home can be found here!