This healthy vegetarian pasta features loads of spinach and roasted vegetables. Using late summer vegetables is great to eat with the season or you change them up depending on when you serve this recipe. With some simple swaps, you can make this recipe vegan or gluten free! Serve with a green side salad for a complete meal. Recipe yields 4 large or 6 more modest portions.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 large bunch of broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces Whole Wheat Linguine or spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot bulb, sliced very thin (about 1/2 cup, sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- Parmesan cheese, for garnishing
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the roasted vegetables: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the sliced broccoli florets and bell pepper to the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss until the vegetables are lightly coated in oil. Sprinkle with salt, arrange the vegetables in an even layer and bake until the broccoli is tender and caramelized on the edges, tossing halfway, about 25 minutes.
- Next, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta just until al dente. Before draining, carefully reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- To prepare the balsamic spinach, in a large Dutch oven or large sauté pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil until shimmering. Add the sliced shallot, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shallot is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. While stirring constantly, add several big handfuls of spinach at a time until they have wilted, then repeat until all of the spinach is in the pot. Once the spinach has reduced a bit but is still bright green in parts (this happens quickly!), pour in the balsamic vinegar and remove the pot from heat.
- In your Dutch oven or in a large serving bowl, combine the roasted vegetables and cooked pasta with the spinach mixture. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil and optional Parmesan. Drizzle in about 1/3 cup reserved pasta cooking water and gently toss to coat. Season to taste with additional salt (mine needed about 1/2 teaspoon more) and freshly ground black pepper. Divide into bowls and serve immediately.
Calories per serving: 384
Original recipe from Cookie & Kate can be found here!