‘Tis the season for baking homemade holiday cookies and treats! This is a wonderful family tradition with recipes that have often been passed down for generations. But is grandma’s cookie recipe steering you off track? Simple ingredient substitutions can help you create your own healthy holiday treats to start new traditions!
- Oil and Butter- Swap for applesauce, grated zucchini, olive oil, or avocado
- All Purpose (white) flour- Swap for almond meal, whole wheat flour, oat flour, or quinoa flour. It is important to note that flour swaps are not even and in many cases you must increase the liquid as well. Use other recipes as guidelines or begin with a partial swap.
- Milk- Swap for almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or hemp milk
- Eggs- Swap for bananas or 1 tbsp. chia seeds with 3 tbsp. of water
- Sour Cream- Swap for plain Greek yogurt
- Peanut Butter (with additives)- Swap for all natural peanut butter