Crave-worthy Buffalo chicken gets a dairy-free makeover! Stuffed inside a tender sweet potato, and done completely in the slow cooker, 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken & Sweet Potatoes is your answer to dinner tonight.
For the Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- ¾ cup red hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil divided
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 4 small whole scrubbed sweet potatoes or 2 large sweet potatoes halved
For the Toppings (Optional)
- ¼ cup avocado mayonnaise or whole plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or green onion
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the hot sauce and 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil.
- Rub 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil on the skin of the sweet potatoes.
- Place the chicken in a 6-quart slow cooker. Drizzle with ¼ cup of the hot sauce mixture, tossing to coat.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on top of the chicken, around the edge of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- While the chicken and sweet potatoes cook, make the sauce by whisking together the avocado mayonnaise or yogurt, lime juice and salt.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the slow cooker–they will be very soft so you may need to use tongs and a spatula–and set aside. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker, stirring together with any accumulated juice. Pour in an additional ¼ cup hot sauce mixture, stirring to combine.
- Slice the sweet potatoes, top with the shredded chicken, and drizzle with the remaining hot sauce mixture and mayonnaise or yogurt sauce. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 6g
Find the original recipe here from Real Food Whole Life!