Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Servings: 8 servings
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded*
- 2 Tbsp ghee or avocado oil
- 1 medium butternut squash cut into 3/4” cubes (about 4 cups)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh jalapeños finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 3 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tbsp fresh minced cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- If your chicken needs to be cooked and shredded, do this first* and set aside. Prepare all ingredients before beginning.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add the ghee or oil. Add the butternut squash and sprinkle all over with sea salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, until just beginning to brown and soften.
- Add in the diced onion and sauté for about a minute until translucent. Then, add in the garlic, peppers, jalapeño and spices, stir and sauté for 3 minutes, until fragrant and softened.
- Add in the green chilis, and broth, stir and bring to a boil. Stir in the shredded chicken, nutritional yeast cilantro and lime juice and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve with sliced avocado, additional cilantro and sliced jalapeño if desired. Enjoy!
Notes: *if you don’t already have cooked chicken, season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cooked through, then shred before using. You can also use a rotisserie chicken
*Feeding a big family or meal prepping for the week? Add 2 cans of cannellini beans to give this soup more volume!
Calories: 210kcal, Carbohydrates: 16g, Protein: 24g, Fat: 6g
Original recipe from Paleo Running Momma can be found here!