We used quinoa in this recipe but you may substitute brown rice. In addition, many add ground beef or turkey to their stuffed peppers. Keep in mind any alterations to the recipe below changes the nutritional information.
Cook Time: 20 min
Prep Time: 15 min
- 2/3c quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1 T olive oil
- 3/4c diced carrots
- 1/2c diced red onion
- 1 10oz package of frozen spinach, cooked and drained
- 1 15oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 10oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2c grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Boil 1 1/3 cups water in a saucepan; add quinoa. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Keep covered; set aside.
- Remove pepper tops, stems, and seeds. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peppers; boil for 5 minutes, and drain. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add carrots; cook for 3 minutes. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach, beans, and tomatoes. Remove from heat and mix in quinoa and chili powder.
- Fill peppers with quinoa mixture and place upright in a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Add just enough water to form a thin layer in bottom of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.
- 1 pepper (1/2 pepper)
- Calories: 254 (127)
- Carbs: 38g (19g)
- Fat: 6g (3g)
- Protein: 12g (6g)