- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme minced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage minced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary minced
- 2 Tbsp organic coconut oil or ghee
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups organic pumpkin puree or remaining amount from a 15 oz can
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk see note**
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth or homemade bone broth
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice optional
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed rosemary
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper optional, for spice
- Chopped parsley for garnish
To make meatballs:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all meatball ingredients in a large bowl with your hands until well combined. Form mixture into 18 balls
- Bake meatballs (makes 18) on baking sheet at 425 for 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink on the inside, turning once midway.
- Transfer to pot with the sauce (instructions below), allow to simmer in sauce on low heat for about 5 minutes
To Make Sauce:
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil or ghee in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent and fragrant, then add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- Lower the heat, then add the tomato sauce, pumpkin, broth, coconut milk, Italian seasoning, pumpkin pie spice, dried sage, dried rosemary and stir to combine well. Season with salt, black pepper or crushed red pepper, if desired. Stir to combine flavors, then cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes prior to adding the meatballs. After adding meatballs, continue to simmer on low heat about 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Serve over your favorite veggie noodles- I love sweet potato noodles with these!
**Blend your coconut milk to a smooth consistency before adding. If you prefer a slightly thinner sauce, use 1/4 cup coconut milk and 3/4 cup broth instead of 1/2 and 1/2.
Calories: 275kcal, Fat: 13g, Carbs: 13g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 6g, Protein: 27g
Find the original recipe from Paleo Running Momma here!