- 3 very ripe medium bananas
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or sub honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups packed fine blanched almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cacao powder (or sub unsweetened cocoa powder)
- ½ cup rolled oats, gluten free if desired (or sub 1/4 cup oat flour)
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts (or sub chia seeds)
- 3 cups organic spinach
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and spray the inside of the liners with nonstick cooking spray.
Add the bananas, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla to a high powered blender and blend until completely smooth. Next add in the almond flour, cacao powder, oats, hemp hearts, spinach, baking soda and salt; blend until smooth. The batter may be thick, so you might have to use a spatula to push the ingredients down, and blend again. Once the batter is smooth, stir in ? cup chocolate chips (do not blend).
Scoop or pour batter into prepared muffin liners. Top with a few chocolate chips on each muffin. Bake for 22-27 mins or until the tester comes out clean. When they come out of the oven, sprinkle with a little sea salt. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy! Makes 12 muffins. I love serving these warm with a dollop of nut butter on top.
Calories: 224 for 1 muffin
Original recipe from Ambitious Kitchen can be found here!