PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 12 ounces asparagus (trimmed // 1 large bundle yields ~12 ounces)
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen peas (2 cups yield ~10 ounces)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium shallot (thinly sliced)
- Salt + Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional // for a slightly cheesy flavor)
- 1/2 medium lemon (optional // juiced // for brightness)
GARLIC HERB CROUTONS (optional)
- 2 cups bread (any kind // cubed)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1/4 tsp each garlic powder, salt + pepper, dried oregano, dried basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & spread asparagus on a bare baking sheet. Drizzle with oil of choice and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 15 minutes, then set aside. If making croutons, reduce heat to 325 degrees F at this time.
- Heat a large saucepan or pot medium heat. Once hot, add 2 Tbsp oil and shallot and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant and translucent. Reduce heat if garlic begins browning.
- Add peas, vegetable broth and almond milk and season with salt and pepper once more.
- Transfer soup to blender (that is safe for blending hot liquids – it should have a lid that allows steam to escape) along with asparagus. Blend soup until creamy and smooth. Transfer back to pot and bring to medium heat and simmer.
- Add nutritional yeast and whisk. Continue cooking until warmed through and simmering, then reduce heat to low. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper if desired. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- If serving with croutons, prep while soup is simmering by lowering oven heat to 325 degrees F.
- Add bread crumbs to a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil and seasonings and pour over bread crumbs and toss to combine. Season once more with a bit more garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss once more.
- Spread on a clean baking sheet and bake or 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Flip/stir at the 10-minute mark to ensure even baking.
- Serve soup with croutons, a touch of black pepper, and/or vegan parmesan cheese. Leftovers keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days.
Nutrition (1 of 4 servings)
Calories: 143, Carbohydrates: 16.4 g, Protein: 9.2 g, Fat: 5.5 g
Original recipe from Minimalist Baker can be found here!