PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
- 3-4 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well under cold water
- 1/4 cup diced shallot or onion
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Zest of a lemon + 2 tablespoons of juice
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the middle leaving a 1/4 inch border all the way around. Sprinkle salt onto the flesh and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Prepare the quinoa while you wait.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the shallot and garlic in a couple teaspoons of olive oil. When they’re soft and fragrant, add in the quinoa, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and sun dried tomatoes. Stir together and toast the quinoa for 30 seconds and then pour in 1 cup of water. Bring the quinoa to a boil then cover with a lid and lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks par-bake the zucchini. Start by using a paper towel to blot out the excess liquid from the inside of the zucchini. Spray a sheet pan with cooking oil or line it with foil. Place the zucchini halves onto the sheet cut side up and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- After the quinoa is cooked, add in the lemon zest and juice, chickpeas, olives, feta, and parsley. Fluff everything together with a fork and then divide the filling into the zucchini boats. Drizzle the tops of them with a little olive oil and then place the sheet pan back into the oven and bake another 10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Remove the zucchini boats from the oven and garnish with toasted pine nuts, extra feta and parsley.
Original recipe from Recipe Runner can be found here!