Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
Total Time 21 minutes
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken (don’t use 99%, it will be too dry)
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- For assembly:
- 4 hamburger buns of choice
- 4 tablespoons buffalo sauce, for topping
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Butter lettuce
- Sliced red onion
- Preheat grill to medium high heat (~400 degrees F). Brush the grates with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Make the burgers by adding the ground chicken/turkey, shredded zucchini, buffalo sauce, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Mix with your hands until evenly combined. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into 1/2 inch patties.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes per side or until burgers are cooked through and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. During the last few minutes of cooking the chicken burgers, add a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each burger patty; cover the grill for about 1 minute while the cheese melts.
- Place the onion on the bottom of the bun, then the burgers, top with a little bit of extra buffalo sauce, avocado and lettuce. Serve immediately. Great with sweet potato fries or fresh fruit!
Per Serving (1 burger with whole grain bun + toppings)
Original recipe from Ambitious Kitchen can be found here!