Ready for back to school? This healthy, fun snack is perfect to pack in your lunch box and give yourself a little energy boost!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 20 protein balls
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup vanilla whey protein powder
- ¾ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup candy-coated chocolate pieces
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1–2 tablespoons water, if needed
- To the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the oats, ground flaxseed, chia seeds and salt. Pulse 10-15 times until some of the oats are broken into very small pieces while some may remain relatively intact.
- To a medium bowl add the oats mixture, whey protein powder, peanut butter*, honey and vanilla. Stir with a wooden spoon or mix with clean hands until well combined. If the dough does not stick together, add ½ tablespoon of water at a time and stir until the dough sticks together easily when formed into a ball.
- Stir in the candy-coated chocolate pieces and chocolate chips. Roll the dough into 20 balls using about 2 tablespoons of dough per bite (about 25-28 g in dough weight per ball). If the dough sticks to your hands, simply dampen your hands slightly with water to prevent sticking.
- Store balls in a covered container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Serving Size: 1 protein ball
Fat: 7 g, Sodium: 15 mg, Carbohydrate: 16 g, (Fiber: 3 g, Sugar: 7 g), Protein: 5 g
Original recipe from the Real Food RDs can be found here!