PREP TIME: 25 MINS
COOK TIME: 20 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 45 MINS
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or dried herb of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
SWEET POTATO TOPPING:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (~6 cups cubed)
- 1 tablespoons butter (may substitute ghee or coconut oil for Whole30)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 375*
- In a medium skillet (we recommend using a 10-inch cast iron skillet so that you can cook everything in the skillet), over medium-high heat, add the ground beef, chopped carrots, onions, peppers, mushrooms and minced garlic.
- Cook on medium heat until carrots are soft, about 12-15 minutes. Begin making the topping while the meat filling cooks.
- Once the carrots are soft, stir in tomato paste, water, seasonings, salt and pepper.
- For the topping: Steam or bake (at 375*) the sweet potatoes until fork tender. Then add all of the topping ingredients to a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. NOTE: If using white potatoes, we recommend mashing them by hand rather than blending to prevent them from getting pasty.
- Final step: Top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. If you’re not using a oven-safe 10-inch cast iron skillet, transfer the meat filling to a casserole dish or 9×9 inch baking dish and top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. Dash with sea salt and chili powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
SERVING SIZE: 1/4 OF RECIPE
FAT: 16g, CARBOHYDRATES: 40g, FIBER: 8g, PROTEIN: 26g
Original recipe from The Real Food RDs can be found here!