Yields: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 c. sweet relish
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar, divided
- 3 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced red onion
- 6 thick slices toast or split burger buns
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add yellow onion, bell pepper, and carrot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add turkey and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chili powder and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and relish.
- Simmer until beginning to thicken, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Toss together cucumbers, red onion, and remaining tablespoon vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt. Let sit, tossing occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture on top of toast and top with pickles.
Original recipe from Country Living can be found here!