Get creative with your ingredients, using seasonal fall produce to make a satisfying, healthy meal. Plan ahead and prep for lunch the next day.
Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 small butternut squash (optional buy pre-cubed)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 bunch chopped kale (about 6 cups)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups cooked farro
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups chopped apples (about 2-3 apples)
- 4 ounces shredded Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon chopped shallot
- Peel, scoop out seeds, and cube butternut squash. Toss in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp ground pepper. Spread on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes at 400°F, or until squash is tender and golden brown.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, toast walnuts until golden brown and fragrant.
- Combine kale, farro, apples, squash, walnuts, cheese, and cranberries in a bowl.
- For the dressing, whisk 1 tbsp olive oil, orange juice, mustard, shallot, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a bowl until fully combined.
- Dress salad immediately, or keep dressing on the side and dress your salad as you go.
Original recipe from Cooking Light can be found here!