Craving some cheesy, comforting spaghetti? This easy to make “pie,” uses items you probably already have in the pantry & refrigerator. Bake whole-wheat spaghetti, beans and vegetables together into a flavorful dish!
Active time: 25 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked navy beans, no-salt added
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Lightly coat a 9-inch, deep-dish pie pan with cooking spray and set aside. Set a large pot of water to boil for the spaghetti, then cook according to package directions and drain.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the chopped tomatoes, and stir frequently until the tomatoes are soft and the pan is nearly dry. (If the tomatoes are too juicy, the pie will be soggy.) Stir in the spinach, basil and oregano and remove from heat. Stir a few more times until the spinach is wilted and bright green. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and yogurt until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup of Parmesan, then stir in the white beans, cooked spaghetti and spinach mixture. Fold together, then scrape into the prepared pie pan. Smooth the top and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375ºF for 45 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing into six pieces.
Keeps for 4 days in the refrigerator, tightly covered.
Serving Size: 1/6 pie
Nutrition: Calories: 196
Total Fat: 5g; Sodium: 307mg; Carbohydrate: 24g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 15g
Original recipe from My Fitness Pal can be found here!