Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- half onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes with the juice or 1 ¾ pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups spinach
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced ?” thick
- 16 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp parsley, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook 4-5 minutes until they are soft and golden. Add garlic and sauté, being careful not to burn. Add tomato paste and stir well. Add crushed tomatoes, including the juice in case you are using tomato cans. Add salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a low simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Finally remove from the heat and add fresh basil, spinach and stir well.
- Adjust the seasoning if you think it is necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and an egg. Stir well.
- In a 9×12 casserole spread some tomato sauce on the bottom. Layer 5 or 6 zucchini slices to cover. Place some of the ricotta cheese mixture and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers until all your ingredients are all used up. Top with sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parley and enjoy!
Serving: 1/9 Calories: 223 kcal (11%)
Carbohydrates: 10.6g (4%) Protein: 18.5g (37%) Fat: 12.4g (19%)
Find the original recipe from Primavera Kitchen here!