- 3/4 ounce fresh basil leaves, plus two sprigs
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mixed greens, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Finely mince the basil, pine nuts and garlic. Add half of the Parmesan and mince to form a paste. Place in a medium bowl and add 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, stir to mix.
- Set up a steamer and steam the chopped broccoli for 2 minutes, then let cool slightly before adding to the bowl with the basil mixture. Toss to coat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites, eggs, and remaining Parmesan until well-mixed.
- Drizzle a 6-inch nonstick pan with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, swirl to coat, and place the pan over medium-high heat. Let heat for about 30 seconds before pouring in half the egg mixture about 1 cup. Let cook for about 1 minute before reducing the heat to medium-low. Let cook for 2 more minutes, until the eggs are cooked around the edges and there is just a bit of runny egg on top. Use your spatula to flip the omelet and cook for a few seconds more, then flip again.
- Place half of the broccoli mixture on one side of the omelet and use a spatula to carefully fold the omelet over the broccoli. Cover the pan and cook for 1 minute to warm the broccoli, transfer to a plate, and cover to keep warm until serving.
- Repeat to make the second omelet in the same manner. Serve hot, garnished with basil sprigs and 1 cup mixed greens, which have been tossed with the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and the lemon juice, on the side.
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 1 omelet
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 271
Total Fat: 17g; Sodium: 346mg; Carbohydrate: 12g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 20g
Original recipe from My Fitness Pal can be found here!