Peak Performance has some excellent chefs!
Thank you to our gym member, Helen, for sharing her recipe this week.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 lb. bulk Italian chicken or pork sausage
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 4 cans chicken broth, 14-1/2 oz reduced sodium
- 2- 15 oz cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (14-1/2 oz)
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 celery ribs sliced
- 1 tsp. minced fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 tsp. dried rosemary crushed
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale or spinach
- Salt and pepper, if desired
- In a pot, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, barley, carrot, celery, sage and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the kale or spinach; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender and the kale or spinach is wilted.
- Small pasta may be substituted for the barley and added during the last 10 minutes of simmering or pasta can be cooked separately and then added before serving.