This Kale and Sweet Potato Stuffed Turkey Breast is perfect for small holiday feast. A boneless turkey breast is loaded with caramelized onions, kale, & sweet potato, then baked in the oven in just about an hour.
- 3-4 lb. boneless turkey breast roast
- 2-½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium (12 oz.) sweet potato, peeled and diced fine
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 6 sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon dijon
- 2-¼ cup chicken or turkey broth, divided
- 1/2 bunch (2 cups) kale, cleaned, removed from stem and sliced thin
- Place turkey breast side down on a cutting board. Carefully, slice parallel through the thickest part of the breast, but not all the way through. Unfold the turkey so it lays flat. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until the turkey is of uniform ¾” thickness. Season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour, or up to 24 in the refrigerator. If its brined and refrigerated make sure to bring it back to room temperature before baking.
- Meanwhile, make filling: Heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes. Add in butter, garlic and sweet potato, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until sweet potato is tender. Add in thyme, sage, dijon, ¼ cup broth and kale and cool until wilted down and all of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Can be made up to 2 days ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 375 and set aside a 9”x13” roasting pan.
- Pat the turkey breast dry. Spread the slightly cooled kale mixture into the middle of the breast, leaving a 1” border all around the edge of the breast. Starting with one short end that does not have the skin underneath, roll into a tight log and completely enclose the filling. Turn the now stuffed turkey breast seam side down and smooth over the skin in the middle of the breast as best as possible. Next tie up the stuffed breast with butcher’s twine evenly in 5 places. Place inside a roasting pan.
- Dry off the skin and rub all over with olive oil, salt and pepper and pour chicken/turkey broth in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Bake, basting every 20 minutes, until it reaches 155º degrees with an instant read thermometer, about 60-70 minutes. Let rest, slightly covered for 10-15 minutes, to let the temperature continue to climb up to 165ºF.
- Slice and serve with your favorite side dishes.
Servings: About 6
Original recipe from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen can be found here!