This week’s recipe comes from Moosewood restaurant in Ithaca, NY. A hearty vegetarian chili packed with beans and vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 fresh hot pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Warm the oil in a covered soup pot on low heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and salt and coo until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the carrots and bell peppers, increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the hot peppers, cumin, coriander and oregano and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally so the spices won’t stick.
- Add the corn, tomatoes, kidney beans and black beans. Bring the chili to a boil;
reduce heat, cove, and simmer, stirring often, for at least 30 minutes.