Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 TB tomato paste
- 2 green + 1 orange/yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 3 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 (14 oz each) cans black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping, optional
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil until hot. Add onion and garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sugar, chili powder, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, oregano, and coriander. Stir to combine, 10 seconds.
- Add ground turkey to pot and sprinkle 1 tsp salt over it; cook/stir to break up into small pieces. When turkey is cooked through, add tomato paste and stir 30 seconds.
- Add bell peppers, fire-roasted tomatoes with juices, and broth. Scrape bottom of pan while stirring. Bring chili to a simmer; simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add beans and pumpkin puree. Bring chili back to a simmer for 15-20 min or until heated through. Remove from heat. Add additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve warm, with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
Original recipe from Chew Out Loud can be found here!