- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 large chicken breasts)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 14 oz packaged, grated mixed vegetables (like corn, green beans, and carrots, or canned vegetables listed in Tips)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat orzo
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups water
- Add chicken broth, water, thyme, and dill into a large, heavy-duty pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- When boiling, use tongs to add chicken breasts into the water. Cover, lowering heat to medium or medium-low, so liquid is at a simmer. Cook until chicken is fully-cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes. (Cut into the chicken to check that it is fully cooked.) When chicken is done, use tongs to transfer chicken from soup onto a plate. Carefully, cut chicken into a few pieces to cool quickly.
- Stir in orzo, frozen vegetables, spinach, and lemon juice. Let soup cook over medium heat until orzo is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when chicken has cooled down, cut into chunks. Add chicken to the soup when orzo has cooked its 10 minutes, stirring and cooking until chicken is warm, just a couple minutes. Remove soup from heat and serve.
You can find the original recipe from Recipes.heart.org here!