Let’s talk about twice baked squash loaded with chicken, veggies, and savory buffalo sauce. Make it for the family or hide the leftovers for yourself!
PREP TIME: 15 MINS
COOK TIME: 45 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR
YIELD: 4 Servings
- 1 ¼ lbs chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup Mild Buffalo Sauce
- Optional: ¼ cup Ranch Dressing or Homemade
- Optional: ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
TO ROAST THE SQUASH:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice both ends from squash and discard. Stand squash up on one of it’s cut ends and use a large knife to cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop seeds and stringy insides out using a large spoon.
- Place squash cut-side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender. Baking time will depend on the size of your squash, larger squash requiring a longer cook time. When squash is tender, allow to cool slightly before using a fork to gently scrape the squash into a large bowl. Reserve the squash shells.
- While squash is roasting, cook the chicken.
TO COOK THE CHICKEN:
Directions for Instant Pot: Insert rack into inner pot. Add 1 cup water or broth. Lay chicken on rack. Secure lid and select ‘Poultry’ setting and increase time to 17 minutes (19 if the breasts are really thick). At the end of the cooking time, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes then flip the vent valve and release the remaining pressure. Move chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly before shredding with two forks.
Directions for Stovetop: Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp. avocado or coconut oil and swirl pan to coat with the oil. Add chicken and ½ cup water. Once the water begins to simmer, reduce heat and cover. Cook chicken for 15-18 minutes or until cooked through. Move chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly before shredding with two forks.
TO ASSEMBLE THE STUFFED SQUASH:
- Place squash shreds, chicken, celery, onions, peppers and Buffalo sauce in a large bowl. Toss well to coat. Spoon squash mixture into the squash shells.
- Return the stuffed shells back to the baking sheet and place in 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
SERVING SIZE: 1/4TH RECIPE
CALORIES: FAT: 14g, CARBOHYDRATES: 13g, PROTEIN: 36g
Louise’s Recipe Notes: Prepped the chicken breast ahead of time using my slow cooker with a layer of chicken broth on the bottom, then added a drop of olive oil, salt & pepper. I also used both a red & green pepper to add more vegetables. Since I’m not a fan of bleu cheese, I swapped that out for thinly sliced cheddar on top when it went back in the oven!
Original recipe from The Real Food RDs can be found here!